Curious About Updating.....

Roelof 'Ben' Kusters web at bentrein.com
Wed Jun 20 05:13:17 UTC 2012

To Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I:

I'm having far fewer problems with F17 than I had with F15. I've done a
fresh install, of which I am a great fan in general anyway. I tinker quite
a lot with my machine, but am not very skilled, so I am sure I f**k up
quite a few things in every version. When I do a clean install all that
s**t is gone. :)
I don't know about your laptop; I don't have one like that. :) I do know
that many people have problems with fresh installs once a new version
comes out - the same is gonna happen with F18. I used to wait about a
month before upgrading (with a fresh DVD install). The drawback of this is
that the first yum update takes forever; the advantage is that most of the
initial bugs and problems have been found and fixed.
Here's the consideration you need to make, and you will be able to reach
your own conclusion:
Fedora 15 is no longer supported; and no longer updated (I assume Fedora
sticks with it's N+2 expiration date). If everything runs fine on your
machine, there's no real reason to upgrade; it will continue to run fine.
There are people who still happily run Win2000, and I've even seen a Win98
machine recently. As long as it keeps doing what you want it to do, why
change? However, development does go on, and imho the user experience of
F17 is once again better, smoother, easier, than of F16 - and 15. What do
you want from your machine? Something that does what it's always done? Or
something that looks a tad better, works a tad smoother, can do a tad
more... To upgrade or not to upgrade, that's your question.

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

Great writers suffer from Writer's Block. I cherish my Writer's Blog:
http://my.opera.com/bentrein