printer configuration on F17 ???

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jun 21 02:19:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:56:42AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 08:44 AM, fred smith wrote:
> > how is one supposed to set up a printer on F17?
>
> Using GNOME?
>
> You are supposed to follow the following route....
>
> 1.  Click on your user name in the upper right.
> 2.  Click on "System Settings"
> 3.  Find and click on the "Printers" icon
> 4.  Click on "Unlock"
> 5.  Enter the appropriate password.
> 6.  Click on "Add Printer"
> .
> .
> .

Ed:

thanks for the reply!

hmmm...

I was running Mate, but couldn't find that item anywhere in mate. I had
also looked in gnome and missed it.

so, ok, now I've found it. I unlock, start to add printer and get
a dialog that says:

"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services
mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on the firewall."

I've been running Linux (fedora, RH, Centos) for years, so I hate
to sound so helpless but,... now that we're using systemd and this
new thing called firewalld I haven't a clue how to proceed.

[later] ok, it looks as if firewalld isn't installed. installing it
now. but don't know what to hack to make it startup. rebooted and
it still doesn't seem to be running.

further advice would be appreciated.

thanks again.

Fred