printer configuration on F17 ???

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jun 21 02:29:05 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 10:19 AM, fred smith wrote:
> Ed:
>
> thanks for the reply!
>
> hmmm...
>
> I was running Mate, but couldn't find that item anywhere in mate. I had
> also looked in gnome and missed it.
>
> so, ok, now I've found it. I unlock, start to add printer and get
> a dialog that says:
>
> "FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services
> mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on the firewall."
>
> I've been running Linux (fedora, RH, Centos) for years, so I hate
> to sound so helpless but,... now that we're using systemd and this
> new thing called firewalld I haven't a clue how to proceed.
>
> [later] ok, it looks as if firewalld isn't installed. installing it
> now. but don't know what to hack to make it startup. rebooted and
> it still doesn't seem to be running.
>
> further advice would be appreciated.

Ahh, OK....  My "ignorance" is based on my being a KDE user with HP network
printers...  :-)

Anyway I "see" the problem.  The error message you are getting is confusing since
firewallD was supposed to be in F17 but was then pulled.  Apparently, they didn't
"fix" the printer configuration dialog.

So.....

Run "system-config-firewall" (which should have been installed by default) and enable
the services/posts outlined in the firewallD message.

Also, erase firewallD.  It is not ready for primetime.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage