Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3

Daniel fedoraproject at oeconomist.com
Thu Jun 21 03:17:30 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 10:04 AM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:

> As for building my OWN desktop from source?....I'm too timid
> and afraid to even attempt it! Although it intrigues me, I just don't
> think I have the "chops" for something so intricate and complex!

Build from source (which is very different from writing source code)
is, as I said, not usually very difficult.  In most cases, it is a
matter of executing perhaps half a dozen commands, the most complex of
which is just an extraction from an archive.

But a number of alternate GUIs don't even require that one build from
source (for Fedora). It's just a matter of a "yum install" or of a
"yum groupinstall". (Examples of such GUIs are Xfce, Cinnamon, and
LXDE.  Xfce and LXDE are designed to be fast and frugal.  Cinnamon is
designed to take a different path from Gnome 2.6 than Gnome 3.x has.)

Moreover, once installed, these GUIs simply become further options.
At login, one chooses which GUI one wants for the session.