Yum messing up again

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jun 21 20:46:06 UTC 2012

Joe Zeff wrote:
> Right now, I'm at Chaos Manor, housesitting, and using my laptop.  (F16 with
> Xfce)  I tried to run a routine update with yumex, but got this error:
>
> ERROR: Error in yum Transaction : [u'ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:',
> 'python(abi) = 2.6 is needed by (installed) rhpl-0.221-2.i686', u'Please report
> this error at
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=rawhide&component=yum']
>

> I tried again, telling it to Skip Broken and got the same error.  What makes it
> odd is two things: 1) I have no rawhide repos selected and 2) the package rhpl
> wasn't listed in the updates.  As suggested, I've reported this as Bug #834417.
> I'm not at all sure what's going on here, because my desktop updated Just Fine
> this morning.  I'm mentioning this so that anybody else running across this can
> add to my bug instead of opening a duplicate.

I assume you connected to a repo which had some but not all of the packages at
the compatible level because it was in the middle of an update. There are ways
to avoid this, but repos are not using them currently. Particularly when "it
works later" happens, it's not a bug, it's a choice. Doing it really right is
more overhead and since the fail is clean due to yum checking stuff, there's
little reason to change.

Note: this is _probably_ what happened, see what bugzilla says.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>