Weird freeze

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jun 22 09:20:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:18:03AM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Currently, my desktop's running F16, fully updated.  Just a few
> minutes ago, I was reading my morning comics on-line when my box
> froze.  Nothing responded.  Even the second hand on my desktop clock
> stopped moving. Just as I was about to try for an alternate text
> console, it rebooted itself and seems to be fine.  This is the third
> or fourth time I've had it lock up in the past few months, but the
> only time it's rebooted itself and, until I "upgraded" to F16 it
> never happened.

Once had a PSU dying on me with quite the same results. Sometimes
freezing, etc. Became worse and worse and eventually the PSU died.
Not initially, but eventually it had problems booting up, once that
started occurring it made it quite easy to figure out the problem
(was suspecting overheating, bad connection, GPU before that).

--
Regards,
Olav