tracker-store and tracker-extract eating 50% of cpu time on a Dual-core AMD Opteron

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Jun 22 15:10:53 UTC 2012

On 22.06.2012 16:47, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Suddenly after a reboot I find between 50-60% of my CPU used. I load
> process manager and find tracker-store and tracker-extract being the main
> culprits, with spikes of 90% of cpu usage.
>
> This is a dual-core AMD Opteron server with 2 gigs of RAM.
>
> Who' s the genius who thought this would be acceptable? and how do I tame
> these processes not to use more than 10% of cpu without uninstalling the
> whole shebang? (provided those actually serve a useful purpose that I'm not
> aware of).
>
> Thanks in advance
> FC

In my case tracker-store acts like a fork bomb! After fresh boot I
shortly have a lot (about 50-100) defunct tracker-store and
tracker-extract processes each consuming about 5 MB of memory. I have to
manually kill them or I'm unable to launch any app form Gnome Shell. yum
remove is not an option because of dependencies. I confirm this behavior
on 64 bit box with Fedora 17, on 32 bit Fedora 17 all is fine.

I'm glad, I'm not alone with this problem.

Mateusz Marzantowicz