upgrading to F16 or F17 with /var and/or /usr on LVM volumes?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 17:29:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> On 20.06.2012 16:13, Joel Rees wrote:
>> Tried preupgrade, but it can't find my old system, and kicks the
>> upgrade process to the curb.
>>
>> Then I tried the netinstall CD and it can't find my old system, either.
>>
>> Looking around, I see a bit of discussion of problems with the install
>> process recognizing  LVM partitions. Rescue mode boot of the
>> netinstall CD appears to be unable to mount LVM partitions.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a work-around short of backing up /etc and /home
>> and doing a fresh install?
>>

>> --
>> Joel Rees
>
> Fedora LiveCD should recognize partitions on LVM and RAID even with
> encryption.

And what good does that do me? Or is there a LiveCD that does upgrades?

Well, the netinstall CD does have lvm command line tools on it.

Right now I'm reading the device mapper commands. If I find the right
commands to activate the logical partitions, I still need to know the
name of the install command so I can re-start the install/upgrade
process after dropping out to a shell. The command does not seem to be
called "install", at any rate.

(Can't remember whether I've done this on Fedora. Last time I did this
kind of thing on openBSD, it was just "install" there, as I recall.)

> It's not recommended to have /usr on different partition so perhaps
> you'd like to change your partition layout.

Yeah, I know all about that trash.

> More about /usr:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

I'm familiar with the issues. And the arguments. You don't fix broken
semantics by breaking everything. The split is useful and is used.

And having no split at all between required system binaries and
optional system binaries is just tempting fate. It's the kind of
technical activity that Microsoft "engineers" call engineering. The
best one might hope it could be is an excuse for getting a paycheck
when you can't think of anything really useful to do.

And it's a shame, because there is breakage there that could actually
be fixed if there weren't a fixation on merging.

> Mateusz Marzantowicz

I'm not attacking you, by the way, I'm just using your reply as a
vehicle to vent my disgust with what Poettering is doing.

--
Joel Rees