An apology is required from me

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jun 22 20:39:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:12:30AM -0700, Daniel wrote:

> >In Wikipedia "citation needed" is added to prove a claim.
>
> Right; but the question was whether you were asking for a _positive_
> proof of an _negative_ claim.
>
> >Basically a
> >reference to a study showing that in general GNOME developers give this
> >answer and secondly that XFCE as well as KDE developers don't do this.
>
> So, it indeed appears that you were demanding a positive proof of a
> negative claim.
>
> The claim that Gnome developers tell people to kiss off is a
> positive claim, one establishes it by pointing to an example of one
> of them doing so.

Not really, you need to prove in happens in general. You talked about
GNOEM developers. That is not one person, that is multiple people.

Suggest to be careful when phrasing things because I will ask about it.

> The claim that KDE and Xfce developers don't do this is a negative claim.
>
> >I think it is somewhat normal to ask for more details.
>
> What sort of _details_ could one find in such an _absence_?

I already explained that.

> >And I understand
> >that proving a negative is difficult (XFCE/KDE), but that should still
> >be possible (sampling of all the answers).
>
> And how would one prove that the sampling were representative?

Hey, you claimed things, don't pin this on me!

> (Do note that, while I have plainly agreed with Roger and Joe about
> what has come from the Gnome developers, I have _not_ taken a
> position on whether the KDE or Xfce developers do the same thing.
> I've just point to the active absurdity of wanting a _citation_ to
> prove a claim that they _don't_ do it.)

Yet you're totally fine to still claim things about GNOME developers?

right!

> >So in short: you have a belief, no basis for it, but cannot be bothered
> >to properly investigate. You make a judgement about GNOME developers,
> >and when someone from GNOME asks for details, there are none.
>
> No.  In short I have a belief, and a basis for it, but don't want to
> slog back through the communications that I've read in an attempt to
> find those in which Gnome developers essentially said what Roger and
> Joe have claimed they say (Roger with approval).  And you want me to
> slog back through it without expectation of profit; you've even held
> onto the option of saying "So what?" or "Durn'd tootin'!"  Plainly
> it'd be a waste of my time.

I want to you back up your claims, indeed. I'm involved with GNOME, you
claim something, but someone from GNOME asking for details is too
cumbersome?

Damn!

> >Glad you cleared that up for me :)
>
> Oh, I'm not trying to clear it up for you.  I'm trying to clear it
> up for anyone else who might be reading. ;-)

So anyone who agrees with you is ok. But the one person involved with
GNOME cannot get any response?
I think you're making things really clear :P

I welcome you to go to FOSDEM. I almost always go there. Talk in person,
not this anonymous internet stuff. Don't worry, I'm more polite on
mailing lists :P

--
Regards,
Olav