tracker-store and tracker-extract eating 50% of cpu time on a Dual-core AMD Opteron

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Jun 22 22:12:47 UTC 2012

On 06/22/2012 02:25 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 22.06.2012 18:50, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> In my case tracker-store acts like a fork bomb! After fresh boot I
>>> shortly have a lot (about 50-100) defunct tracker-store and
>>> tracker-extract processes each consuming about 5 MB of memory. I have to
>>> manually kill them or I'm unable to launch any app form Gnome Shell. yum
>>> remove is not an option because of dependencies. I confirm this behavior
>>> on 64 bit box with Fedora 17, on 32 bit Fedora 17 all is fine.
>>>
>>> I'm glad, I'm not alone with this problem.
>>>

>>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>>>

>> Have you reported these via bugzilla? It's interesting that it's only
>> on the 64-bit architecture that this is an issue.
>
> First, I want to make sure it is a bug, then I'd like to know more about
> what this app does and how. I was also searching bugzilla for related
> reports but it looks like there is no such error report so I'll probably
> fill in new report. I just need to gather more info abut this problem.
> Is this problem only noticed by Fernando and Me or there are other
> people on the list suffering?

Tracker is started in your session startup, not via systemctl and you
can disable it if you want. In my case, I have it start in my session.
I am running 64-bit F17 using XFCE and have no issues with it (tracker
version 0.12.10). If I want to disable it I'd go to

     Applications->Settings->Settings Manager->Session and Startup

select the "Application Autostart" tab and uncheck the tracker-related
items.

Again, I have no issues and I'm running 64-bit F17 on four machines.