F17 - KDE panel background - how to change

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 11:17:50 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 19:05 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed F17 onto my home PC today, and somewhere along the way
> changed I seem to have changed the KDE panel background. It is now
> somewhat transparent, which means that when the display background
> changes (I have it set to a slideshow) sometimes I cannot read the text
> on the panel icons.
>
> I have had a look again but cannot see where the panel background is
> set. Could someone point me to the right area please?

Hello,

Well it is possible to change the panel background setting:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=96664

I set the 'File' option for the panel background to
/usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/opaque/widgets/panel-background.svgz

and the panel background is now a solid light grey (after logging out
and in).

This now allows me to read how many unread mail messages I have without
maximising the panel task (I use 'evolution' as my mail client).

Unfortunately though some tasks on the panel such as a simple bash
konsole appear quite dark, others such as evolution are white on the
grey background (and so readable), libreoffice is also a light colour,
firefox is dark. Hovering the mouse over any of the tasks pops up a
thumbnail window which is pretty much black and impossible to read!

I also do not like at all the seemingly 'blurred' writing on the tasks
on the panel - e.g. 'bash' for a bash konsole. Blurring it puts a strain
on the eyes to resolve the writing - not good at all!

So, obviously things are not quite there yet. I have no objection to
some eye-candy, the blue highlight around selected tasks etc, but being
unable to read something is obviously of not much use.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001