F17 XDMCP

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Jun 25 21:27:34 UTC 2012

Hi, I in danger of making this a rant, but is XDMCP no longer something
that Fedora supports?

I have just installed F17 x64 in a VM to tinker with it and systemd and
I'd like to enable XDMCP. Or what is the favoured remote access method
these days.

I've put DisallowTCP=0 in the [security] section and Enable=1 in the
[xdmcp] section of custom.conf in /etc/gdm/ and opened port 177 UDP in
the firewall on the F17 machine.

Oddly, on my remote X server when I run "X -query machinename :1" the
desktop of the remote X server freezes when connecting to this rogue F17
install. As I would expect I can see an open UDP session on UDP 177 but
I don't see any traffic on TCP 6000 or 6001 that I would expect. The
same remote X server connects to FC6, Centos5.6 etc etc without any issue.

What gives?

Thanks for any hints and guidance.

Ken

believed to be clean.