Fedora 17 - MPEG-4 support and WinFF package

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue Jun 26 09:55:02 UTC 2012

I have a problem with assembling working environment with all packages
required to encode/decode/convert MPEG-4 and H.264 media files in Fedora
17 x86_64.

I'd like to convert some video files to mpeg-4 format easily but I'm
unable to do it. I'm unable to find any comprehensive info about
packages that need to be installed in Fedora 17 in order to work with
aforementioned files. So I ended up mixing some advice form several
blogs etc. I can watch mp4 videos but not create them from other media
files.

My questions are:

1) What packages are to be installed to fully support MPGE-4 as
destination media format?

2) Is there a package with WinFF, the GUI form ffmpeg
(http://winff.org/html_new/) in Fedora 17? Yumming doesn't seem to
provide and faint trail of such a packaged.

3) How can I find extensive info about Fedora packages where I can read
detail about them and search for appropriate one by myself (something
like http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages because
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/ doesn't work for me, I hardly can
find anything useful there.)

Thanks in advance for any help,