Installing Fedora on a USB connected Harddrive.

Terry Polzin foxec208 at wowway.com
Tue Jun 26 17:58:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 13:37 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17 new install on a USB connected hard drive.
>
> I have Dell Dimension 2400 with WindowsXP installed, But !! I can't
> get this Dell to Boot off a CDROM.
> by even setting up BIOS to boot off CDROM.
>
> Yes the CD is a Bootable CD.  If you read the CD from within WindowsXP
> it will read the the files on the CD.
>
> I was thinking about taking hard drive out the Dell and USB connect
> the hard drive to another Computer and do a resize of WindowsXP and
> install Fedora on hard drive and setting up the hard drive as a Boot
> drive , then put it back into the Dell 2400.
>
> The Dell hard drive is a IDE drive and My computer is SATA so I can't
> put the Dell hard drive in my PC.
>
> Will it Work ????

In addition to resizing your XP partition, you may have to "move" it
over to make enough space for grub.  There's lots of posts all over
about this.
You might first want to test by booting it on your PC via USB and with
that SATA HD disconnected.  If you fail to boot with some weird grub
error then you still have some partition manipulation to do. To do
partition manipulation, I generally use a gparted live CD.