Installing Fedora on a USB connected Harddrive.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 26 21:17:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 13:37 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17 new install on a USB connected hard drive.
>
> I have Dell Dimension 2400 with WindowsXP installed, But !! I can't
> get this Dell to Boot off a CDROM.
> by even setting up BIOS to boot off CDROM.
>
> Yes the CD is a Bootable CD.  If you read the CD from within WindowsXP
> it will read the the files on the CD.
>
> I was thinking about taking hard drive out the Dell and USB connect
> the hard drive to another Computer and do a resize of WindowsXP and
> install Fedora on hard drive and setting up the hard drive as a Boot
> drive , then put it back into the Dell 2400.
>
> The Dell hard drive is a IDE drive and My computer is SATA so I can't
> put the Dell hard drive in my PC.
>
> Will it Work ????

Don't you mean a DVD?

If the the procedure I outlined in my previous note does not work Down
load a Live CD. Install it on a usb stick using unetbootin you get from
unetbootin.sourceforge.net

Then use the usb stick to install Fedora 17.

The truth is what is; what should be is a dirty lie. -- Lenny Bruce
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net