F17 XDMCP

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Jun 26 21:30:15 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 09:54 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
>
>> {snip} user accessible then
>> installing a service should enable and start it.

{snip}
> Well, IMO, server software should default to disabled.  It is not unusual for users
> (novices and even experienced) to install server side software they aren't going to
> use...at least initially.  To have them default to start seems a good choice.  This
> is especially true when you probably should alter any default configurations.

{snip}
I could argue this both ways. For something like xrdp I think it should
install, enable and run. I can see an argument for other daemons that
need more application specific config that install and default to
disabled might be a good initial position.
>> {snip}

> I've not used XDMCP in years.  I think part of the reason I moved away from it is
> that when I do "remote" it can be *remote* and the performance over low bandwidth or
> high latency links was lacking.

Agree, but over a 1G LAN with modern hardware it should just fly along.

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.