F16 wireshark install

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 26 22:29:31 UTC 2012

Mark Haney wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 12:20 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>> But, make sure you install wireshark and wireshark-gnome....  and make sure
>> you add
>> yourself to the wireshark group.
>>

> That's very interesting.  When I did the initial install (using sudo yum install
> wireshark) this is what yum told me:
>
>> =====================================================================================================================================================
>>
>>  Package                             Arch
>> Version                                Repository                         Size
>> =====================================================================================================================================================
>>
>> Installing:
>>  wireshark                           x86_64
>> 1.6.6-1.fc16                           updates                            10 M
>> Installing for dependencies:
>>  libsmi                              x86_64
>> 0.4.8-6.fc15                           fedora                            2.3 M
>>
>> Transaction Summary
>> =====================================================================================================================================================
>>
>> Install  1 Package (+1 Dependent package)
>
> Apparently that doesn't install the binary for wireshark as I didn't get that
> until I installed wireshark-gnome.  Shoudn't this be a dependency of wireshark?
> I am not sure I understand why wireshark-gnome is NOT a dependency of wireshark.

Wireshark works fine without the GUI, but in a very limited fashion. The gnome
wrapper just lets you use it in a convenient manner.

Ed: I found that there is now a wireshark group, the first time I tried to use
it on fc17, Anyone have a good idea *why?* It's not that the unprivileged user
can just grab packets off an interface or anything, and while I don't see the
average user having a use for it, I've been wrong about that before, with
legitimate useful stuff being done by people I would not have suspected would
understand the capability, much less make use of it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>