Gnome-rdp

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jun 28 02:52:37 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 09:50 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> nslookup (or some versions of it) used to honor the /etc/nsswitch.conf file so if hosts was defined
>
> hosts:  dns file
>
> in /etc/nsswitch.conf, "nslookup risingstar" would return the address (*if* /etc/hosts had "192.168.0.18

I could find no version of nslookup on my systems which do as you suggest.

All of my nsswitch.conf files have "hosts:      files dns"

This includes nslookup on RHELv4.8 as well as ubuntu.

In all my years I can't recall ever coming across that behavior....and it doesn't
make much sense to me that a utility/tool meant to query the DNS would do this.  dig
also doesn't.

If you can recall what version did this I'd be interested to know.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage