How to limit maximum number of TCP connections

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jun 28 06:02:33 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:27 PM, Jatin K wrote:
> well..... suppose I've 5 clients in my office ( say A,B, C, D, E ) and a linux box
> which is working as a router ( gateway ), I want  to allow only 4 concurrent pcs to
> access the Internet, say if A,B,C,D is using internet then fifth client E can not
> access the internet until any of previous connected clients ( A,B,C, or D) gets
> disconnected/session ended

Define "access internet".....

Do you mean *all* protocols?  So, you want to stop a 5th system from browsing, ftp,
ssh, ntp, pop, imap, etc?  So, if A, B, C, and D are using these protocols...which
can happen without direct user input (pop/imap polls, facebook and rss feed updates,
etc.)  you want to block E for an indeterminate amount of time?

Seriously?

I think you need to state the problem you are trying to solve....not ask for a
solution which really sounds wrong headed.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage