How to limit maximum number of TCP connections

Jatin K ssh.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 06:27:19 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 11:32 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/28/2012 01:27 PM, Jatin K wrote:
>> well..... suppose I've 5 clients in my office ( say A,B, C, D, E ) and a linux box
>> which is working as a router ( gateway ), I want  to allow only 4 concurrent pcs to
>> access the Internet, say if A,B,C,D is using internet then fifth client E can not
>> access the internet until any of previous connected clients ( A,B,C, or D) gets
>> disconnected/session ended
> Define "access internet".....
>
> Do you mean *all* protocols?  So, you want to stop a 5th system from browsing, ftp,
> ssh, ntp, pop, imap, etc?  So, if A, B, C, and D are using these protocols...which
> can happen without direct user input (pop/imap polls, facebook and rss feed updates,
> etc.)  you want to block E for an indeterminate amount of time?
exactly

> Seriously?
yes, its my client's requirement ......  I can understand its not the
way to go .... but he pays me for this ... I'm a service provider .. I
have to do what they said and want to do

> I think you need to state the problem you are trying to solve....not ask for a
> solution which really sounds wrong headed.

how can you prove its wrong ... they need this kind of configurations,
and my duty is to provide the solutions what they need if its possible....

     I don't know the solution/configuration requirement to fulfill
their desire, thats why I'm asking the solutions to this list where so
many experts like you are available. If this is wrong then I'm really sorry

--
   °v°
  /(_)\