Would-be local mirror in Argentina...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 02:41:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Maximiliano Marín Bustos
<maximiliano.marin at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> I think you don't have to créate a mirror for old and unsupported versions.
> For more information, you can visit this link:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/es-ES/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/ch08s04.html
>
> A mirror in Argentina would be very helpful for all the users here in
> southamerica.

Seeing that you' re from Chile, FYI: There is a mirror in Chile
http://linux.inf.utfsm.cl/fedora/linux/releases/

However, I decided to ask to this list about the space requirements
after reading the following:

///
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring#How_can_someone_become_a_public_mirror.3F

"Mirror sites have at least a 100Mbit/sec* connection to the Internet,
many have Gigabit or larger pipes. As of the Fedora 8 release, the
total space consumed on the master server, thus what a mirror could
consume, is 1.1TB and growing. ***A 1-2TB volume would be most
appropriate for a long-term mirror***. "
///

However, by looking at the Brazilian mirror I see they start with FC13
so that gives me hope that perhaps rules are more relaxed and someone
can indeed become a mirror / repo by just having the last two
supported releases instead of the whole archive.

Brazilian mirror:
http://fedora.c3sl.ufpr.br/linux/releases/

May I suggest, then, that the text at
/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring#How_can_someone_become_a_public_mirror.3F
be updated to make this distiction that having a "1.2 TB to 2TB
volume" is NOT an indication of what MUST be stored for one mirror to
qualify as an official public mirror?

FC
- George Orwell