F17 XDMCP

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jun 29 12:57:37 UTC 2012

Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:

> On 06/26/2012 04:19 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>> {snip}
>>
>> I have more than a hint and guidance.  I have emphatic advice.  Stop
>> trying to import and export desktops, no matter the system.  Import
>> and export windows or create virtual machines, but do not ever under
>> any circumstances attempt to deal with virtual desktops, no matter
>> the Windows or Linux distribution.  If you get it right once for some
>> circumstance, whatever you have gotten right will soon become wrong
>> in some intolerable way just as soon as some weenie somewhere has a
>> better idea.  No one is more or less a sinner.  All are.  I know what
>> a virtual machine is and I know what a window is and so do most
>> systems.  No one seems to be able to agree on what a desktop is or
>> what its powers are, and that problem is absolutely fundamental.
>>
>> Robert Myers
>>
> WOW!.....strong words! But sound advice nontheless! I've never really
> dealt with the virtual desktops and I seriously doubt I ever will, I'm
> not that heavily into having different OS'es or programs running. I
> imagine it's helpful to people who actually NEED to have that kind of
> setup, but for myself it would just be a frivolous waste of time to
> even get involved in it!
>
> EGO II

I understand what Robert is meaning especially exporting apps rather
than whole desktops.

But I was attempting to get some hands on experience of F17 via a
Virtual Machine installation. The VNC based window from the VM is only
1024x768 whereas my desktop is 2560x1024 and I'd like to get a full
screen or near full screen display.

xrdp and TigerVNC would give the resolution but they only work in Gnome
fallback mode.

I still don't understand why deprecating XDMCP furthers the Open Source
cause. Like many, I'm pretty tenacious and I'll hack my way round the
"enhancements" to get the installation to do what I want it to. But why
should I have to resort to that....

Maybe I should take this up on a Gnome list.

Ken

believed to be clean.