[OT] Custom 'wrote' lines

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 29 14:34:59 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Mark Haney <markh at abemblem.com> said:
> Okay, I gotta ask.  Where on earth do you get the customized lines like
> this:
>
> Once upon a time, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
> <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> said:
>
> (Thanks Bob.  Give credit where it's due.)
>
> I've seen various and sundry others like this one, and I can't really
> google it since I don't have a clue what to call that.

It is usually called an attribution line or something like that.  I use
mutt (a text terminal mail client), and in its config I have:

set attribution = "Once upon a time, %n <%a> said:"

The "%n" is the full name of the sender and "%a" is the email address.

I got bored with the normal attribution line one time and changed to
that.  Looking back, I started using that in early 1996; maybe it is
time for something new!
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>