Pulseaudio strikes again!

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Fri Jun 29 18:30:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:59:30PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On 06/27/2012 10:57 AM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:24:05PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> You may want to look into running PA as a system daemon instead of a
> >> user daemon.
> >
> > I have done so, and it didn't work. Specifically, I put these
> > commands into /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
> > # Start the pulseaudio daemon
> > /usr/bin/pkill -9 pulseaudio
> > /usr/bin/pulseaudio --kill
> > sleep 1
> > echo "/usr/bin/pulseaudio -D --system --log-target=syslog"
> > /usr/bin/pulseaudio -D --system --log-target=syslog
> > /usr/bin/play /usr/share/sounds/KDE-Im-Phone-Ring.ogg
> >

> You need to edit the files in /etc/pulse. You at lease need to
> modify the daemon.conf file. You will probably want uncomment
> daemonize and system-instance and change them to yes.

Thank you Mikkel, for your attempt to help.
I did edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to set these non-standard values:
  daemonize = yes
  use-pid-file = no
  system-instance = yes
but it didn't change anything.  I didn't see anything else in
/etc/pulse/* that seemed relevant.  The system daemon ran but remained
impervious to any sound generation by root or dad.  Curiously, skype
was able to produce its sound effects.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us

The problem with the world is stupidity.  I'm not saying there should
be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?