Gnome-rdp

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat Jun 30 13:56:05 UTC 2012

That's correct. Sorry for jumping in on this thread late. I not only
know Lawrence personally, I also set up the network he is trying to
access. I've just been out of town...

The actual domain name of the internal network in this case is
risingstar.local. He is trying to connect remotely first using the
NetworkManager vpnc client to a VPN gateway (a Cisco ASA5505) that is
configured to provide/refer DNS name resolution services for the
internal domain as a part of the VPN configuration setup. The
risingstar.local domain is added to the domain search list as a part of
connecting to the VPN.

What we are having trouble with is that gnome-rdp simply dies when
trying to connect. Even when successful, the VPN connection appears to
just hang after a few seconds.

Conversely, I can run a Windows 7 virtual machine on the same physical
computer that's having trouble with vpnc/gnome-rdp using VMware
Workstation, with the virtual networking set to NAT mode, and connect to
the VPN from that Windows VM via the Cisco VPN Client for Windows with
no issues at all. Further, Windows Remote Desktop rdp client works
without a hitch. Again, we can resolve host names both via the local
host name (because risingstar.local is one of the VPN provided domain
search names) and the FQDN.

The issue is that the combination of using the vpnc client and gnome-rdp
(or for that matter, any of the available rdp clients on F16/F17) either
do not properly resolve the host name, or they connect briefly and then
hang or crash outright.

This *used* to *not* happen on our Fedora based systems. It *used* to
work perfectly using the exact same vpnc VPN configuration profiles. I
suspect that something got broken when a few vpnc and Gnome-rdp updates
came along, and I also I suspect vpnc is the root cause here.

So, I hope that helps a little more with the situation. We could use a
hand on this from the vpnc and rdp folks on the list...

Cheers,

Chris