powerdown restarts

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sat Jun 30 15:36:22 UTC 2012

On 06/30/2012 03:51:45 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 29.06.2012 22:37, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > This problem has been submitted to Bugzilla (836657), but I thought
> I'd
> > ask here to see if there are any fixes lurking.
> >
> > System is running 3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64. When I systemctl poweroff
> the
>
> > kernel reboots instead of powering off. Under Windows 7, power off
> > works as expected. All packages are up-to-date.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> What about shutdown -h ? Does it work as expected? Then try halt and
> poweroff commands.

It's my understanding that poweroff is a backwards-compatibility
implementation of systemctl poweroff, which I have tried to no avail. I
should have mentioned that. It appears that halt is the same. shutdown
if a link to systemctl. Bottom line is that I would not expect any of
these to be any different, but I live in hope and will report back if
there's any difference.

I should also mention that systemctl poweroff works fine on my laptop
running the 32-bit version of Fedora 16.

One point, FWIW. Power off is essential for my application. Merely
halt-ing is no better than just leaving the system running.

Thanks. I don't wish to seem ungrateful -:)