Fail to start bacula director with systemctl. SOLVED.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 20:33:02 UTC 2012

On 30/06/12 21:41, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.06.2012 21:36, schrieb Erik P. Olsen:
>> On 30/06/12 02:35, Bill Shirley wrote:
>>> Is there any information in /var/log/messages or bacula's log?
>>
>> Nothing decisive.
>>>
>>> What does 'Starting bacula-dir manually' mean? From systemd vs upon boot?
>>
>>  From the command line launch bacula-dir
>>
>> However, I've solved the problem. When launching bacula-dir this way it runs under userID and groupID root. In
>> /etc/sysconfig/bacula-dir they are both set to bacula. Changing those values to root causes bacula-dir to start
>> correctly.
>
> this is NOT a solution

Well, since it makes bacula run, it IS a solution allthough I admit it IS bad.

> NEVER let any service run as ROOT
> really NEVER!

May be the folks who package bacula should look into this because if you don't
change the userID and groupID somehow in /etc/sysconfig/bacula-dir,
/etc/sysconfig/bacula-fd and/or /etc/sysconfig/bacula-sd bacula wont start. I'll
play with the values to see if I can find a better solution. I'll keep you posted.

--
Erik