Message when running yum update

Andy Blanchard zocalo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 21:26:07 UTC 2012

On 30 June 2012 20:35, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But that is strange!!
> As I reported, it is branded as fc16 from @updates.
>
> I had to delete these:
>
> # rpm -e subscription-manager-**firstboot-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686
> subscription-manager-gui-1.0.**3-1.fc16.i686 subscription-manager-**migration-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686
> subscription-manager
>
> They all came from fc16 @updates.

As has been pointed out, this package isn't part of the default F17 or F16
releases, but a quick check of the Fedora Packages list shows that this was
pushed out to F16 Updates a couple of days ago, and an earlier update was
pushed on the 9th June.  Since Fedora is more or less compatible with the
concurrent release of Red Hat, I'm guessing this was originally made
available through Fedora Extras so either Red Hat binaries could be tested
on Fedora and/or the Red Hat web system management tool be used to
administer Fedora systems.

When a package in Fedora Extras gets updated, it gets the same announcement
email and a file in the updates section of the directory tree as a package
included in the base distribution, but unless there was a package
dependency issue yum should NOT have installed this on its own.  Did you
perchance install some additional packages from Fedora Extras or Fedora
Accounce recently?

PS.  I'm not a number either! :)

--
Andy

*The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe*