F17, power switch offers no choices??

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jun 30 21:57:16 UTC 2012

I haven't used Fedora on my netbook since F14, I used Centos 6 in that
interim.

however, both centos 6 and fedora (back when I used it) allowd one to
press the netbook's power switch, while logged in, and got a dialog
offering choices like shutdown, log off, standby, hibernate.

how, on F17 though, it just does a shutdown, depending on which
desktop/session I'm in. (in gnome it seems to just go to standby mode,
while in lxde or xfce (or MATE, which I've installed) it just shuts down.

I assume this is an artifact of systemd, but have no clue how to hack
it to make it once again offer the choices.

thanks!

Fred
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."