synchronize time

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 00:02:35 UTC 2012

On 2012/02/29 06:33, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 14:10 -0800, jdow wrote:

>>> Run: system-config-date
>>> and in the Time Zone display be sure UTC is checked.
>>
>> Unless somebody broke ntp that last is in no way required. It has never been
>> required. It doesn't even seem to require the motherboard clock to be set to
>> UTC.
>>
>> {^_^}
>
> Although it is always good to hear from jdow her statement is wrong. Tim
> Waugh and I spent at least a month trying to debug the fact that on my
> network printer browsing did not work. After a lot of agony and
> searching log files we found that the problem was the print client was
> jumping around in time so the server got confused about the browsing and
> just gave up. Also ntpd would quit shortly after it was started. The
> problem was fixed by checking UTC in the system-config-date display.

I cannot speak to chrony. But I've been running ntp happily since it was xntp.

On my SL6.2 virtual test machines which run in VirtualBox hosted on Win 7 the
clocks are all set, properly, to Los Angeles time. ntp locks right up slick
as you could ask. I do take back the bit about motherboard running UTC. I
notice VirtualBox has the UTC checkbox ticked. So motherboard is UTC. I
believe there is a configuration setting for NTP to handle that. But the
timezone setting certainly does not have to he UTC.

[jdow at sl6 ~]$ date;date -u
Wed Feb 29 15:49:08 PST 2012
Wed Feb 29 23:49:08 UTC 2012

ntpq> peers
      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
+we.love.servers 192.43.244.18    2 u   29   64  377   36.411  -84.322  10.851
+64.73.32.134    192.36.143.150   2 u    1   64  377   85.706  -101.83  11.770
-mirror          204.9.54.119     2 u   46   64  377   83.161  -69.662  21.143
*me2.xxxxxxxxx.x 69.25.96.13      2 u   44   64  377    0.431  -97.046  13.406

On the SL6.2 firewall machine the motherboard clock is set to UTC, the system
is set to Los Angeles time.
[jdow at me2 ~]$ date;date -u
Wed Feb 29 15:49:43 PST 2012
Wed Feb 29 23:49:43 UTC 2012

It setup this way mostly right out of the box. I had OTHER problems porting
in my very historically based configuration; but, ntp was no big deal.

(SELinux is a borked pain in the asterisk. I leave it running. But I am less
and less enthused by it every day. It, dhcpd, named, and SpamAssassin don't
seem to get along well together when dhcpd is supposed to update a useful
dhcpd setup. And some how named gets MANY hanging locks that make it
impossible to shut it down gracefully.)

This is the important part of the setup.
===8<---
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1
server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
includefile /etc/ntp/crypto/pw
keys /etc/ntp/keys
#trustedkey 4 8 42
===8<---

/etc/sysconfig/clock:
ZONE="America/Los Angeles"

The virtual machines are similar:
===8<---
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1

server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst

includefile /etc/ntp/crypto/pw
keys /etc/ntp/keys

# new machine (A pointer to the local server)
server 192.168.xx.1
===8<---

/etc/sysconfig/clock:
ZONE="America/Los Angeles"