Badblocks on the hd.

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 09:34:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 09:13:20 +0000
Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> /sbin/badblocks
>
> has informed that there are 5 bad blocks on a hd.
> Not in a position to replace at the moment,
> Only dust in the wallet.
>
> Had a look at e2fsck
> man e2fsck
>
> -l filename
> -L filename
>
> Is the "filename" automatically created.
> or something I need do.
> The fs is ext4.
>
> To my mad eyes it looks like:
> e2fsck -ccvp (as single user?)

Yes -ckvp should do what you want - but

1. modern drives do block recovery and sparing themselves so when a bad
block is written it should go away again
2. if they can't it can indicate imminent total failure

So I would do the fsck to clean up any files containing the bad blocks,
then do a verify on the drive (probably easiest from the BIOS if it has
the option) and/or runm a smart test on it (see smartctl

If you want to try and fix them you may find

http://www2.uic.edu/~aciani1/sector_blues.html

useful.