synchronize time

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 14:28:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 16:02 -0800, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/02/29 06:33, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> Unless somebody broke ntp that last is in no way required. It has never been
> >> required. It doesn't even seem to require the motherboard clock to be set to
> >> UTC.
> >>
> >> {^_^}
> >
> > Although it is always good to hear from jdow her statement is wrong. Tim
> > Waugh and I spent at least a month trying to debug the fact that on my
> > network printer browsing did not work. After a lot of agony and
> > searching log files we found that the problem was the print client was
> > jumping around in time so the server got confused about the browsing and
> > just gave up. Also ntpd would quit shortly after it was started. The
> > problem was fixed by checking UTC in the system-config-date display.
>
> I cannot speak to chrony. But I've been running ntp happily since it was xntp.
>
> On my SL6.2 virtual test machines which run in VirtualBox hosted on Win 7 the
> clocks are all set, properly, to Los Angeles time. ntp locks right up slick
> as you could ask. I do take back the bit about motherboard running UTC. I
> notice VirtualBox has the UTC checkbox ticked. So motherboard is UTC. I
> believe there is a configuration setting for NTP to handle that. But the
> timezone setting certainly does not have to he UTC.
>
> [jdow at sl6 ~]$ date;date -u
> Wed Feb 29 15:49:08 PST 2012
> Wed Feb 29 23:49:08 UTC 2012
>
> ntpq> peers
>       remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> +we.love.servers 192.43.244.18    2 u   29   64  377   36.411  -84.322  10.851
> +64.73.32.134    192.36.143.150   2 u    1   64  377   85.706  -101.83  11.770
> -mirror          204.9.54.119     2 u   46   64  377   83.161  -69.662  21.143
> *me2.xxxxxxxxx.x 69.25.96.13      2 u   44   64  377    0.431  -97.046  13.406
>

> On the SL6.2 firewall machine the motherboard clock is set to UTC, the system
> is set to Los Angeles time.
> [jdow at me2 ~]$ date;date -u
> Wed Feb 29 15:49:43 PST 2012
> Wed Feb 29 23:49:43 UTC 2012
>
> It setup this way mostly right out of the box. I had OTHER problems porting
> in my very historically based configuration; but, ntp was no big deal.
>
> (SELinux is a borked pain in the asterisk. I leave it running. But I am less
> and less enthused by it every day. It, dhcpd, named, and SpamAssassin don't
> seem to get along well together when dhcpd is supposed to update a useful
> dhcpd setup. And some how named gets MANY hanging locks that make it
> impossible to shut it down gracefully.)
>
> This is the important part of the setup.
> ===8<---
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict -6 ::1
> server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst
> includefile /etc/ntp/crypto/pw
> [...]

Sometimes I wonder if we are all speaking the same language. I can't
comment on what VirtualBox does, nor what Windows 7 does, but here is my
experience.

My hardware was set to UTC time. My system time was set to local time
CDT. But until UTC was checked in the system-config-date GUI, nether
cups printer browsing would work nor would ntpd stay running.

In case of fire, stand in the hall and shout "Fire!" -- The Kidner
Report
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net