synchronize time

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 14:53:07 UTC 2012

On 2012/03/01 06:28, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder if we are all speaking the same language. I can't
> comment on what VirtualBox does, nor what Windows 7 does, but here is my
> experience.
>
> My hardware was set to UTC time. My system time was set to local time
> CDT. But until UTC was checked in the system-config-date GUI, nether
> cups printer browsing would work nor would ntpd stay running.

Odds are it was something else in your setup. And don't forget, I tend to
administer via command prompts via ssh into the machine. That can make a
BIG difference. On the commandline "ntpq" is a nice friend.

I vaguely remember going through this hassle back with xntp when it was a
new thing. I got it tamed and that taming moves with me as I move onwards
in distros. I always use ntpdate to prime the pump, though. That might be
some of the magic. Some other parts of the magic is make sure ntpd or ntpdate
does not try to run before the outside network is up AND the firewall is
configured. I load the outside net "by hand" very late in the startup
sequence and have ifup-local fire off some startup commands for the likes
of fetchmail, ntp, and firewall configuration.

{^_^}