F16 installation problems

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 2 00:12:12 UTC 2012

On 01/03/12 21:49, Paul W. Frields wrote:

<snip>

> Nevertheless, do think about reporting a complete bug if you can make
> the same problem happen repeatedly.  Start here for beginner
> information, but if you're going to file a kernel bug, I *highly*
> recommend you press on to read the more detailed information linked at
> the end.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report

Just for the record, the latest kernel for Fedora 16 causes a kernel
panic. From this I've deduced that installing Fedora 16 without updates
first resulted in my having a bootable kernel and hence a workable
Fedora 16.  As for the reporting of bugs, when I can reliably reproduce
an error with some useful feedback I will do so, but as I well know it
is very difficult to fix bugs with limited information or ability to
reliably reproduce them. Unfortunately I'm still finding Fedora 16
somewhat unstable, yum/yumex being particularly prone to becoming
unstable. So no updating my laptop just yet.

Anyway, more information to come regarding failures during startup, as
these appear it bit more consistent, and easy to narrow down.

Here's hoping people new to Linux don't come up against the problems I
have, it may not put them off Linux, but just the Fedora distribution.

cpp4ever