Fedora 14 Gnome 2 to Fedora 16 KDE

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 2 00:23:51 UTC 2012

On 01/03/12 22:31, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I've been using Fedora 14 (i686) on an old IBM Think Pad T42 after
> swapping from Debian Squeeze & am really enjoying the experience.
>
> Fedora 14 having reached EOL, I'm looking to upgrade but at present I'm
> running Gnome 2 & 16 uses Gnome 3. Not only will Gnome 3 not run on my
> machine but from what I've seen of it, I don't really care to use it.
>
> So I'm looking at using KDE. The Fedora 16 Live CD (KDE) runs fine on
> the Think Pad & it seems a far better option than Gnome 3 in failback so
> my question is:
>
> 1). Is there anyway I can upgrade via Yum from Gnome on 14 -> Kde on 16
> without unduly breaking anything?
>
> I've tried Googling for an answer but it's quite difficult phrasing it
> correctly to get a vaild response.
>
> I've got my /home/ folder backed up both locally & remotely so if I have
> to re-install will there be any conflicts on that score if I attempt to
> rsync from the back up (which I imagine there probably will)?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give & please be patient for a response as
> I'm on digest delivery.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Phil...

I'm sure it is possible, but I suspect it will take a lot longer than
doing a backup before doing a fresh Fedora 16 KDE install. Unfortunately
I have not had particularly good experiences trying to update to Fedora
15/16, (only managing to finally install a flaky Fedora 16 today after
many attempts). Hence due to the fairly major changes you are seeking to
make I would be cautious.

HTH

cpp4ever