Need help USB modem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 2 03:10:29 UTC 2012

<snip>

>         Quick question about the device....
>

>         What does it show up as when you plug it in and type lsusb?
>

>     I don't know, I'll ask tomorrow
>
>     Thanks
>     Roger

</snip>

Hi Rick, Terry and Doug

Re. the student's laptop my daughter asked about with the Sierra aircard
modem

I asked her to get the student to do a lsusb and the laptop reports:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integragted Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integragted Rate Matching Hub
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 13d3:5710 IMC Networks
Bus 006 Device 004: ID 0bda:0139 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 1199:68a3 Sierra Wireless, Inc.
So, apparently it finds the modem.

 From my reading it seems that it needs manual configuration of wvdial.conf

While I understand that Microsoft and Telstra seem to be in bed together
it seems strange that there is no automatic/easy setup for such a
commonplace modem. Pity there is no script available that any newbie
could run and install with minimum of fuss.

Have to find a way to advise the student, that's way out of my league.
Thanks
Roger