Can't access DVD -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 2 12:55:52 UTC 2012

        I suppose I should know by know but ...

        Do I need an entry in /etc/fstab for an optical disk drive? If
        so what should it be?

        I viewed some lectures on line, bought the download actually but
        decided would eat up more of my bandwidth allotment for the
        month than I could afford and had them send me some DVD's
        instead. Then to my surprise my F-16/64 installations wont play
        them although they looked fine from the download site.

        When I put a "movie" dvd in the drive an icon pops up normally
        but ls /media appears to be empty:

            [bobg at box6 ~]$ ll /media
            total 0

        Should I not see something like /media/cdrom ? The disk I am
        testing with has always worked on earlier Fedora's. Admittedly I
        rarely do anything with dvd's but when I have needed to I have
        been able to play and record, in most cases data. Now as far as
        VLC and Parole it is like there's no drive installed?

        I need help troubleshooting.

        Thanks,

        Bob