Can't access DVD -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 2 14:27:11 UTC 2012

On 03/02/2012 08:55 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>        I suppose I should know by know but ...
>
>        Do I need an entry in /etc/fstab for an optical disk drive? If
>        so what should it be?
>
>        I viewed some lectures on line, bought the download actually but
>        decided would eat up more of my bandwidth allotment for the
>        month than I could afford and had them send me some DVD's
>        instead. Then to my surprise my F-16/64 installations wont play
>        them although they looked fine from the download site.
>
>        When I put a "movie" dvd in the drive an icon pops up normally
>        but ls /media appears to be empty:
>
>            [bobg at box6 ~]$ ll /media
>            total 0
>
>        Should I not see something like /media/cdrom ? The disk I am
>        testing with has always worked on earlier Fedora's. Admittedly I
>        rarely do anything with dvd's but when I have needed to I have
>        been able to play and record, in most cases data. Now as far as
>        VLC and Parole it is like there's no drive installed?
>
>        I need help troubleshooting.

I'm using KDE, so my view may vary slightly from what you see.....

When I pop in a DVD, Arsenic and Old Lace, the "Device Notifier" pops up
giving 6 potential actions.  I don't want to do any of them so I ignore
it.  The device is not mounted so there is nothing in /media.

I bring up SMPlayer and pick "Open from Disc" and the movie is played.
The program is reading directly from the /dev/dvd device which is a
symlink to /dev/sr0 which is the block device for the drive.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis