recommend some info on hot to upgrade from F15 to F16 using preupgrade

birger birger at birger.sh
Fri Mar 2 21:34:07 UTC 2012

usually it's as simple as running updatedb, then locate .rpmnew and fixing up any config file changes that didn't get applied automatically. then run preupgrade, and once the system is up repeat the same procedure to find new .rpmnew files.

when a package being updated discovers that some file from the already installed version has been changed, the new file is named with a .rpmnew suffix instead of overwriting your edits. this means that file doesn't get updated until you merge it with your changes manually. when upgrading to a new release it is important to do this merge both before and after since some config files could have changed enough that some service stops working.

birger