Need help USB modem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 2 22:49:23 UTC 2012

On 03/03/12 00:21, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]

Thanks Antonio and Rick
This is where I got to last night and this morning.
Have tried in both Fedora 16 and Ubuntu oneric. Ubuntu is on the
student's laptop.

sudo wvdial reports:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP", "telstra.internet"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
CONNECT 21000000
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Mar  3 09:21:43 2012
--> Pid of pppd: 1965
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Disconnecting at Sat Mar  3 09:21:45 2012
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd
man pages for more information.
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP", "telstra.internet"
OK
--> Modem initialized.

It then repeats the above a number of times.

^CCaught signal 2:  Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Disconnecting at Sat Mar  3 09:21:49 2012

I have tried both telstra.bigpond and telstra.internet, makes no difference.

Roger