Kernel Panic is making me panic

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 23:35:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 13:33 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/02/2012 12:40 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > On Feb 29 my Fedora 16 box updated itself (I'm not wild about the only
> > options being completely manual update or completely automatic update -
> > but that's another story). It must have updated the Kernel because the
> > next day when I turned on the PC I had a kernel panic (details below)
> > and the machine failed to boot.
> >

> Looks like either dracut didn't put the driver you need for your hard
> drive in the ramdisk image or the grub configuration is telling it to
> use the wrong root partition.  Check the grub config first and make sure
> the entry for the faulty kernel has the same root partition as the
> working kernel.

Ah yes! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Looking at my /etc/grub2.cfg I noticed that the stanza for the most
recent kernel was the same (except for kernel version) in every respect
as its predecessor - EXCEPT that it lacked the line:
initrd /boot/initramfs-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE.img

Looking in /boot I see that the following files are present:
config-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE
System.map-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE
vmlinuz-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE

but NO initramfs-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE.img !

I have done a yum reinstall kernel-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE and I am now
speaking to you from that new kernel!

It has however pointed up to me the fact that the last yum update did
not complete properly and there are several (about 24) other errors. I
will make that the subject of another post.

Thank you once again.

Mark