Need help USB modem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 3 01:35:45 UTC 2012

I'm now trying to follow the tutorial:
  golly some folk do not know how to write tuts.

I'm stuck at
check your device modalias listing IE:

usb:v19D2p0031d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF

the aove command/code does nothing!

Next command/code.
Ok.
copy and paste the device modalias + a line from the grep modules ;
Now use * to line up the two modalias :: look at the pattern
Example

usb:v19D2p0031d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
usb:v1199p6891d****dc**dsc**dp**icFFiscFFipFF* sierra

Sorry but the above means nothing to me?
What does it mean, How do I test/run it, what should it report.

I'm guessing that the 312U modem is recognised in a usb port
I'm also guessing that the laptop talks to the modem, the modem
handshakes then shuts off and the red light flashes.

I've reconfigured the Network Manager to see the modem - it also fails.
There are no error messages that give a clue.

I reckon I've missed something , don't know what

Thanks for any assistance
Roger

I've run out of ideas.