synchronize time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 3 11:38:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 07:34 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The above is exactly what happened to me, which prevented cups
> browsing to occur.

Not so much that CUPS is upset that you had the setting for UTC set, but
that you had time and/or timezone set wrong, then.

All services should work properly whether the hardware clock is set to
UTC or not.  The software that handles the time will get it right when
you set the configuration for UTC to match what you're actually doing
with the hardware clock.  If you mis-set that, you can expect problems.

I don't know whether it's "supposed to be" that all programs ignore the
hardware clock, and check the software clock for time.  But I dare say
that it's possible for them to look at the hardware clock, directly.
Either way, whether reading software or hardware clocks, your system
configurations that say what your timezone is, and whether the hardware
clock runs on local time or UTC, should be set correctly.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

(Who's checked his typing in this message very carefully, making sure
that in none of the numerous places that he's typed the word, "clock,"
none are mistyped.)

read messages from the public lists.