How to clean up Yum mess?

BEN ben_sisko at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 14:35:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 14:07:27 +0000
Arthur Dent <misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 09:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 12:31 +0000, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > > I really don't like the new system of fully-automatic or
> > > manual-only updates. I preferred the pre F15 method of informing you
> > > by means of an applet when updates are available.
> >
> > I wasn't aware that this had changed. Before F16 I only ever used yum
> > directly (and still do a lot of the time), but now I see a "gear wheel"
> > icon on the KDE panel when updates are available, and choose to apply
> > them via the GUI when I feel like it. How is this different from what
> > you describe?
> >
> > poc
> >
> Sorry - Should have pointed out - I'm running Gnome. With Gnome 3 there
> is no icon on the panel (as there was with Gnome 2 and Fedora < 15).
>
> The only possible settings are found in Applications->Other->Software
> Settings. This brings up a dialogue box entitled "Software Update
> Preferences" in which there are only 2 drop-down boxes. The first says
> "Check for updates" and the options are "Hourly, daily, weekly, never"
> and the second is "Automatically Install" and the options are "All
> updates, Only security updates, Nothing"
>
> Up to now I had it set on Hourly / Automatically Install. This meant
> that it would check for updates every hour and automatically install
> them without further reference to me. This was usually OK, and I would
> often turn on my machine to find I had a shiny new kernel or version of
> Firefox etc. But I didn't realise that I would be able to turn off the
> machine (without warning) whilst updates were in progress.
>
> Hence the mess I am now in...
>
> I will now have to set the options to never / never and remember to run
> yum update manually. In my opinion a retrograde step...
>
> Anyway - any ideas how I fix the mess?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Hi,

I run into something similar a few months ago. The only method I've found to fix it was to uninistall one by one every single package using "rpm" without checking the dependencies and re-install it right after.
Probably there is another way but I don't know it.

Regarding the settings of the auto update, I've set "check for updates" to "Daily", "Automatically install" to "Nothing" and, when updates are available, I get a notification in the system tray of Gnome 3 Panel (Gnome shell is disabled).

Hope this can help.

Ciao