Cleaning /tmp

Andy Blanchard zocalo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:19:01 UTC 2012

On 3 March 2012 16:55, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:

> Fedora (not just 16) leaves junk in /tmp. It's also using some of that
> junk, for example keyring-PRgjGV/.

Another instance of a Linux regression, IMHO.  Used to be anything in /tmp
was supposedly safe to be erased on boot, and often was.  Then again, disk
space used to be expensive.

> So what's the best way to reduce the clutter? Is there a service?

"tmpwatch" is the command you are looking for, but the default
"/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch" script isn't aggressive enough for me (and you,
by the sound of it).  Something like the following would do as a crude
solution:

   #! /bin/sh
   tmpwatch --atime 28d /tmp

I have a "tmpwatch2" script (which will run after the default script) with
my additional commands in it.

Regards,

--
Andy

*The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe*