fedora vs. ubuntu minimal install

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sun Mar 4 02:22:37 UTC 2012

Just wondering: why is the fedora minimal install iso (266 M) so much
larger than the ubuntu one (26 M)? Clearly, these are two different
distributions and I do not mean to imply that one is more preferable
than the other in this aspect, so I was just wondering.....

For the Fedora minimal install (I was referring to boot.iso) while for
the Ubuntu, I was referring to mini.iso. I suspect that the answer may
be that boot.iso can do far more than a minimal install, in which
case (just speculation), wouldn't it be useful to also have a minimal
install iso?

I have not used Ubuntu much: that is my wife's distribution. I have
stuck with Fedora from Day 1 even though it has become less stable
since the middle of Fedora 14. (Just my observations: I still prefer F
to U, though).

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan