YouTube, HTML5, and Chromium. Why the sudden malfunction?

Zoltan Hoppar hopparz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 12:41:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

You should read this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

It seems, they have agreed with each other, adobe gives support for
flash in chrome only, and kills slowly HTML5. Ahem. Yes. Also you need
to know that adobe, netflix and Microsoft wraps HTML5 video tags into
DRM..... even that videoplayback doesn't work. Hm, nice things, right?

Cheers,

Zoltan

2012/3/4 Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com>:
> Last month, one of the most pleasant surprises I ran across was the fact
> that Google finally seemed to have defaulted to HTML5 for YouTube. Virtually
> every video I played (I cannot remember a single counterexample) was working
> fully in the HTML5 player. It was a real relief, since I really do not want
> to rely on Flash for my web experience.
>
> The last few weeks, however, something has changed drastically on this
> front. All of a sudden, the majority of videos are NOT playable. They only
> throw an "your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats
> available" exception, and refuse to play.
>
> Does anyone know why this is? Are there any possible workarounds?
>
> I am running Chromium 19, built on Fedora 16.
>
> --

PGP:  06853DF7