cant ping from behind proxy box

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sun Mar 4 16:44:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 18:28 +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry - newbie to fedora, and google is driving me mad !
>
> I've just setup up a F17alpha box, and am trying to ping the internet
> from behind my Ubuntu proxy server, which also runs bind.
>
> I have set GATEWAY in /etc/sysconfig/network
> I have put nameserver 192.168.0.1 into /etc/resolv.conf
> I have done a export http_proxy=http://192.168.0.1:3128
>
> I have done a /etc/init.d/network restart
>
> and I still cannot ping by IP nor by dnsalias name

Ping what??
You won't be able to ping outside your proxy at all unless you allow
your hosts to bypass the proxy (which would sorta elliminate the idea of
the proxy in the first place).

What IP and network did you give your fedora box? Setting up the proxy
cannot be done until you have basic networking up. In other words, based
on the above, your fedora box need to have an address in 192.168.0.x -
and it needs to then be connected to a hub/switch that allows access to
192.168.0.1. Once done, you test with ping to 192.168.0.1.  There's a
chance you run with a "angry" firewall on 192.168.0.1 which could be
blocking your pings, but if you say you can ping it from other hosts,
that's obviously not the case.

> but this all works from other ubuntu boxes, and of course from the
> server machine itself.
> I can also ping all the PCs on my internal network.

That includes the proxy server? If so, everything is working according
to the setup.

> Please can someone tell me my deliberate mistake in this regard.

Proxy servers blocks you from direct access to the outside network. It's
why proxy servers are mostly used - to deny direct access to the
workstations. That means pings too.

> TIA,
> Zoltan
>

> --

> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>
> 65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
> Western Cape, South Africa.
>
> 34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E
>
> Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
> Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
Now is the time for all good men to come to.
		-- Walt Kelly