lvm

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 18:27:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Peter Larsen
<plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:
> Patric,
> fdisk (you have to start using -cul instead of -l) reports what-ever the
> partition table contains. It's utterly ignorant to what's on the actual
> partition. So simply login with fdisk, do a "t" and change the partition
> type to what-ever you want.
>
> Be aware that linux ignores those types - they have absolutely no impact
> on how your system works.

I guess that creating a partition type using a disk partitioning tool
like gparted or fdisk is different, and independent, to the filesystem
that is subsequently generated inside the partition!  This is a piece
of knowledge, or lack of, that leads to quit a lot of confusion!

So you can make a dos partition but then put a filesystem in it that
is ext4 or LVM for example.....    I wonder if there is a good simple
tutorial around that explains disk partitioning and filesystems?

Anyone know?
--
mike c