lvm

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Mar 4 20:44:32 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 12:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 04.03.2012 21:13, schrieb Peter Larsen:
>> >  Only on systems that are dual-booted does
>> >  partitions make sense. With Grub2 we can now have a single partition for
>> >  everything - and the reason we have the partition table is due to the
>> >  bios needs during boot.
 >
> is this a joke?

No.  I think that Mr. Larsen simply misunderstood, or generalized too
far.  Nothing except (maybe) Windows cares about partition types or the
boot flag, and starting from there he landed on the Island of
Conclusions and decided that that meant that if you're not dual booting,
you don't ever need multiple partitions.

I know -- Oh Ghod, how well I know! -- how easy it is to forget that
most people don't have decades of computer experience and that things
that are intuitively obvious to those of us who do are sometimes
incomprehensible to the less experienced.  And, of course, the
requirements of those of us using Linux only at home aren't the same as
for those using it professionally, especially when it comes to backups
and security.  Still, it's good to have some insight from the
professional side if only to show us how different the two environments
are and what we'd have to take into account if we were using Linux to
run even a small business.